Cost and Funding
The cost of studying abroad varies greatly depending on your program's type, length, and location. Many programs are financially comparable to studying on campus for a semester, therefore program selection is crucial especially if you are on a tight budget. It can pay off to take time and compare costs at Mason with those that incur abroad.
|Semester at Mason||Tuition*||Housing||Total w/ Housing|
|In-state UG + Lowest Housing||$5,922||$2,685||$8,607|
|In-state UG + Highest Housing||$5,922||$4,050||$9,972|
|Out-of-state UG + Lowest Housing||$17,145||$2,685||$19,830|
|Out-of-state UG + Highest Housing||$17,145||$4,050||$21,195|
* Full Course Load and Semester Educational Resource Fee
Once you have decided to study abroad and have met with your academic advisor, you will need to consider costs. If you are a recipient of financial aid, this means meeting with your counselor. When you meet with your financial aid counselor, bring a copy of the budget sheet found on your program's page. Please do not simply drop off the form, because you and your counselor will review your financial aid package together with this additional information. After your meeting, you will have an idea of what can be covered by aid and how much you will have to contribute.
Federal financial aid is always awarded through a student's home university. If you are a George Mason student intending to participate in a qualifying non-Mason affiliated program, you must still go to the Mason Financial Aid Office. If you attend another university and you are participating in a Mason study abroad program, you need to visit the Financial Aid Office at your home school.
- You MUST meet with your counselor. They will review your financial aid pacakge with you.
- Financial Aid MAY cover spending and living costs. It depends on the aid package you have.
- Bring the BUDGET SHEET of your desired program with you to see what your billable and non-billable costs are.
- Note that your financial aid package will not be released in time to cover expenses that must be prepaid like your airline ticket and other out-of-pocket expenses.
Mason Links and Resources
More information about financial aid and loans:
Finding funding for your study abroad excursion can seem challenging, however, not impossible. There are a number of resources at your disposal. It is important to research carefully and EARLY to secure appropriate funding. Remember the more you apply, the greater your chances are for funding your study abroad experience. The list of scholarships is broken down into four categories: Global Education Office scholarships, Mason Scholarships, Fellowships, and External Scholarships.
Global Education Office Scholarships
- Global Perspectives Scholarship
- Monroe “Chip” Whitton Scholarship- (For Undergraduates to study in the UK in Summer ONLY)
- The Jacquemin Family Foundation Education Abroad Scholarship
- Diversifying Study Abroad Travel Scholarship
- International Horizons Honors College Scholarship
- Gunda Sporer Oppenheimer Prize for French Studies
- GEO Passport Grant
External SourcesThere are a number of scholarships available outside of George Mason. The links below are only a few suggestions of what is available. This page will be updated as more scholarships become available. While many are tied to a specific program/university/provider, there are many independent resources that can be utilized. Please note that most fellowships and large grants do require that you apply 6 months to a year before you intend to study abroad.
- Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) Scholarships
- Rotary Foundation Scholarships
- IIE Study Abroad Funding
- Bruce Alan Ebersole Memorial Fund
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Global Study Awards
- WSA Cultural Bridge Scholarship
- Travel Video Contest
- Golden Key Scholarships- Must be a Golden Key Member
- Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund
- Scholar Trips
- GoEuro Scholarship Giveaway!
- Explore the World Travel Scholarship
Fellowships and Grants
- Gillman Scholarship- Must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant
- Fulbright- Graduate students only
- Boren Fellowship
- Flagship/ROTC Language Scholarships
Country-specific Funding opportunities
- New Zealand Generation Study Abroad and Excellence Awards
- Explore New Zealand Scholarship for Massey University
- ThinkSwiss Summer Research Scholarship
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Scholarship
- Study Abroad in Japan: Bridging Scholarships
- Japan: Tanaka and Green Scholarship
- Australia: Endeavor Scholarship and Fellowships
- National Italian American Foundation Scholarships
- Study in China
- United Kingdom BUTEX Exchange Awards
- Study in Holland
- Study In Russia