Cost and Funding
The cost of studying abroad varies greatly depending on your program's type, length, and location. Many programs are financially comparable to studying on campus for a semester, therefore program selection is crucial especially if you are on a tight budget. It can pay off to take time and compare costs at Mason with those that incur abroad.
|Semester at Mason||Tuition*||Housing||Total w/ Housing|
|In-state UG + Lowest Housing||$5,922||$2,685||$8,607|
|In-state UG + Highest Housing||$5,922||$4,050||$9,972|
|Out-of-state UG + Lowest Housing||$17,145||$2,685||$19,830|
|Out-of-state UG + Highest Housing||$17,145||$4,050||$21,195|
* Full Course Load and Semester Educational Resource Fee
|Semester Abroad||Tuition||Total w/ Housing|
|Tuition + Housing Average||Low $6,200||
|Tuition + Housing High||Low $6,200||
|Mason Summer School, 3 Credits||Tuition||Housing||Total w/ Housing|
|In-state UG + Lowest Housing||$1,387||$1,232||$2,619.00|
|In-state UG + Highest Housing||$1,387||$1,456||$2,843.00|
|Out-of-state UG + Lowest Housing||$4047.75||$1,232||$5,279.75|
|Out-of-state UG + Highest Housing||$4047.75||$1,456||$5,503.75|
|Mason Summer School, 6 Credits||Tuition||Housing||Total w/ Housing|
|In-state UG + Lowest Housing||$2,775||$1,232||$4,007.00|
|In-state UG + Highest Housing||$2,775||$1,456||$4,231.00|
|Out-of-state UG + Lowest Housing||$8095.50||$1,050||$9,327.50|
|Out-of-state UG + Highest Housing||$8095.50||$1,330||$9,551.50|
|Summer Abroad, 6 Credits||Total w/ Housing|
|Tuition + Housing Average||
|Mason, 3 Credits||Tuition|
|Winter Break Abroad, 3 Credits||Total w/ Housing|
|Tuition + Housing Average||
Budget sheets list the estimated cost for any study abroad program and include billable costs and non-billable costs. Budget sheets are located on each program's brochure page.
- Billable costs are those collected by the Global Education Office (GEO).
- Non-billable costs are those collected by other agents and the items listed in this category are estimated costs you may incur while abroad.
Billable items constitute the program cost listed in the description of the program brochure and may contain an enrollment fee, a program or administrative fee, and the cost of Tuition for study abroad. All costs are subject to change at any time.
You can access a program's budget sheet by clicking on the term, e.g. select Summer to view the budget sheet for Creative Writing
Budget Sheet Example
Creative Writing Workshop in Ireland
Budget Item Undergraduate Graduate Enrollment Fee * $150.00 $150.00 Program Fee * $3,247.00 $2,659.00 Study Abroad Tuition (6 credits) * $2,748.00 $3,336.00 Billable subtotal: $6,145.00 $6,145.00 Personal Spending $500.00 $500.00 Meals $700.00 $700.00 Books and Supplies $100.00 $100.00 Airfare $1,200.00 $1,200.00 In-Country Ground Transportation $150.00 $150.00 Non-billable subtotal: $2,650.00 $2,650.00 Total: $8,795.00 $8,795.00
* Paid to George Mason University
Billable costs are those collected by the Global Education Office (GEO). Non-billable costs are those collected by other agents and the items listed in this category are estimated costs you may incur while abroad.
***Please Note: These are estimated costs only, program costs are subject to change.***
Federal financial aid is always awarded through a student's home university. If you are a George Mason student intending to participate in a qualifying study abroad program not affiliated with Mason, you must still go to the Mason Financial Aid Office. If you attend another university and you are participating in a Mason study abroad program, you need to visit the Financial Aid Office at your home school.
When you meet with your financial aid counselor, bring a copy of the budget sheet found on your program's brochure page. Please do not simply drop off the form, because you and your counselor will review your financial aid package together with this additional information. After your meeting you will have an idea of what can be covered by aid and how much you will have to contribute.
Note that your financial aid package will not be released in time to cover expenses that must be prepaid like your airline ticket and other out-of-pocket expenses.
Mason Links and Resources
More information about financial aid and loans:
- Office of Student Financial Aid at George Mason University
- U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid
The Global Education Office (GEO) encourages students to take responsibility for their own education by independently researching scholarships online. If you are attending a non-Mason program, be sure to check your program provider's website to see if there are any scholarships you may apply for.
Featured Mason Abroad Scholarships
- Global Perspectives Scholarship
- Monroe "Chip" Whitton Scholarship
- The Jacquemin Family Foundation Education Abroad Scholarship
- Diversifying Study Abroad Travel Scholarship
Additional Study Abroad Scholarships
The following is a list of study abroad scholarships and databases you may access to see if there are funds you are eligible to apply for:
- Boren Scholarships and Fellowships
- Bridging Scholarships
- Freeman-ASIA Scholarships
- George Mason University: Office of Graduate Fellowships
- George Mason University: Scholarships
- Go Overseas!
- IIE Passport: Study Abroad Funding
- Integrative Studies Experiential Learning Scholarship
- African Language Flagship Fellowships
- South Asian Language Flagship Fellowships
- Marshall Scholarships
- MCL Study Abroad Merit Scholarships
- Phi Kappa Phi Society Study Abroad Scholarships
- The Fund for Education Abroad (FEA)
- The Gilman Scholarship Program
- Turkish Coalition of America: Study Abroad Scholarships for American Students of Minority and Heritage Communities