Skip to content

Obtaining J-1 Visa

Only after you are officially accepted as an exchange student by George Mason University will you be sent the DS-2019 paperwork. If you have questions about your visa, contact the Office of International Programs.


Quick Facts

  • You must check-in with the Office of International Programs and Services at the beginning of the semester.
  • You must have a travel signature from the Office of International Programs and Services to leave the country. If you travel without a travel signature, you may not be able to come back to the U.S. 
    • The travel signatures are valid for one year. Students need to have a valid travel signature on their DS-2019s before leaving the country, so if they already received one and plan to return to US before it expires, they do not need another one.
  • Students are allowed to stay in the country for a 30 day grace period after the end date of their program listed on the DS-2019 form. However, they are not allowed to work or to take classes during that 30 day grace period.
  • You must be enrolled full-time for the entire duration of your stay in the U.S. That means being enrolled in at least 9 credits for graduate students and at least 12 credits for undergraduate students. If you are registered for less than the required amount of credits even for 1-2 days during your stay in the U.S., you risk immediate visa termination. NOTE: Fully online courses are not allowed to count toward the number of credits registered.