Global Perspectives Scholarship
The Global Perspectives Scholarship offered through the Global Education Office (GEO) is open only to George Mason University students participating in a Global Education Office (GEO) summer or winter program.
Scholarship awards range from approximately $250 to $750 and vary based on the strength of the student's application. Scholarships are need- and/or merit-based. Each applicant is carefully considered by the Global Education Office (GEO) Scholarship Committee. The Committee looks for applicants who have a strong academic record, demonstrate financial need, and are passionate about study abroad and their program in particular. Applicants are encouraged to share special circumstances, personal stories, or any other connections that demonstrate why and how the student will benefit from their chosen program and the scholarship award.
Scholarship awards are designed to supplement a student's funds during the program.
Scholarship applicants must also have a program application completed before they will be considered for the scholarship.
- For Winter programs (Scholarship Cycle 1), scholarship recipients will be notified of their award before the pre-departure orientation in early December.
- For Summer programs (Scholarship Cycle 2), scholarship recipients will be notified of their award before the pre-departure orientation in early May.
Checks are expected to be available after the Pre-Departure Orientation event for each term. All program fees must be paid in full to receive the check. Scholarships will not be disbursed to students who cancel their participation in the program or if the program is cancelled. Repayment of the scholarship is required by students who withdraw from the program after disbursement.
In order to apply for this scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25 at the time of application
- Active application to a Global Education Office (GEO) program by the scholarship application deadline
- Be a degree-seeking Mason student (undergraduate or graduate) at the time of application
In order to be considered for this scholarship, applicants must submit short-answer essays. Application questions should be answered within the MasonAbroad questionnaire in the scholarship application:
- How do you plan to finance your study abroad program cost? Please include any financial circumstances you would like to share with the scholarship committee.
- How does your selected study abroad program enhance your personal, academic and career goals? Please cover each of these topics in 100 words or more.
Global Education Office (GEO) Scholarship Policy and Requirements
You are invited to apply for all of the Global Education Office (GEO) scholarships for which you qualify. The Global Education Office (GEO) is committed to assisting as many students as possible. Therefore, priority will be given to students who have not received previous funding from the Global Education Office (GEO). In addition, if selected for an award, each applicant will only receive one scholarship per application cycle.
Global Education Office (GEO) scholarship recipients are required to complete a #MasonAbroad Stories interview upon the completion of their program as well as one additional activity. This can include writing a blog post or reflection, sharing photographs, assisting with on-campus events and activities, speaking to future program participants via email, making a video, or another activity of your choice.