Job Opportunities for Students
Job Opportunities for Students
Study Abroad Peer Advisor and Global Envoy
The GEO Peer Advisor and Global Envoy (PAGE) program is ideal for study abroad alums with a positive, inviting attitude and excellent communication skills. Students who wish to apply for the program are passionate about global learning and eager to share their experiences. This position reports to the Marketing and Outreach Manager.
- Host assigned walk-in hours in the Global Education Office.
- Advise prospective students in a professional, truthful, and open manner.
- Articulate the academic, professional, and personal benefits of study abroad.
- Schedule and conduct class visits during the semester.
- Engage students by delivering concise and accurate information.
- Educate students on the value and impact of a global experience.
- Assist with marketing-related projects including social media, event planning, administration.
- 6 to 8 hours per week.
- Complete approximately 40 class visits during the semester.
- Occasional evening or weekend work (for events).
- Complete orientation and training workshops.
- Attend team and one-on-one meetings.
The ideal candidate fulfills the following minimum requirements:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Positive and inviting attitude.
- Participated in a study abroad program.
- Currently enrolled at Mason.
- GPA of 2.5 or higher.
Desired qualities include but are not limited to:
- Public speaking skills.
- Working with a team.
- Open to constructive feedback.
The ideal candidate is aware of GEO’s values on service, diversity and cultural awareness, innovation, stewardship, integrity and collaboration.
Inclusion, Diversity, EquityGEO will be looking for a team of peer advisors that reflects the reality of Mason’s diverse and inclusive environment. The team will be composed of students with differing study abroad experiences and backgrounds.
APPLY ON HANDSHAKE
Office Assistant - PAID
Job DescriptionAn Office Assistant at the Global Education Office helps the professional staff and supervisors with daily office tasks, assisting students and staff members by answering questions. Assists the GEO department with administrative duties, including filing, scanning, and maintaining physical and electronic files. Assists department staff with various responsibilities. Answering telephones, photocopying, mail delivery, monitoring the desk area are just a few of the duties. Office Assistants must be prepared to enforce GEO office policies.
- Strong communication skills
- Be able to enforce all department policies & regulations
- Good organizational skills
- Customer service experience
- Ability to multi-task
- Be reliable and dependable
- Answer telephone – pleasant and professional at all times
- Provide quality customer service, demonstrating a positive attitude and welcomingdemeanor.
- Always conduct yourself professionally and respectfully with patrons and co-workers.
- Follow established office policies and procedures
- Provide accurate information to all customers
- Attention to detail with all forms and registrations
- Perform basic office tasks (copying, filing, etc.) and other duties as assigned
- Enforce rules and regulations
- Assist in opening and closing of the office
Prepare a cover letter and resume and send an email to email@example.com.
International Exchange Student Assistant
ResponsibilitiesThe Assistant will work directly with this international student population. Duties include (but are not limited to): processing paperwork for students, helping with registration, guiding them through accessing Mason services, planning events, meeting with students, and assisting with orientation.
- 1+ years of administrative experience
- Ability to work with people of different cultures
- Ability to communicate clearly, especially to students using English as a second language
- Experience working with students
- Attention to detail, and well organized
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience working with international students
- Student advising experience
- Knowledge of Mason offices and resources
- Experience planning events
- Knowledge of different educational systems throughout the world
International Student Mentor
***Prior study abroad experience NOT required***As a study abroad alumni, it's time to start thinking about how to stay connected to your experience. A great way to continue your global experience while at Mason is to participate in the Global Education Office's international student mentor program. Think back to when you first arrived at your university for your time abroad - were you nervous? Confused but excited? We have international students arriving at Mason for the fall who feel exactly the same and they could use your help!
Mentors will have the option of:
- Mentoring 1-2 international students individually, OR
- Pairing with another mentor to work with a small group of 3-5 international students.
- Sending a welcome/introduction email to your mentee(s)
- Answer any questions your mentee(s) might have regarding life at Mason
- Attend a meet and greet event during the first week of classes (date TBD)