University of Technology Sydney (Exchange)
One of Australia’s leading universities of technology, University of Technology Sydney (UTS) has a distinct model of learning, strong research performance and a leading reputation for engagement with industry and the professions. UTS is a dynamic and innovative university in central Sydney. The City campus is in the heart of Sydney's creative precinct and alongside Sydney's central business district. Sydney combines the downtown feel of a busy metropolis with a relaxed lifestyle. With its famous harbor, sandy beaches, national parks, and suburbs with their own unique identity, the city is in easy reach of places to explore. UTS’s central location means students can easily access Sydney attractions, entertainment, and essential services from the campus' doorstep.
Students may apply to University of Technology Sydney as either a Bilateral Exchange or Direct Enrollment Program. This is the program brochure page for the Bilateral Exchange option. Students are enrolled as regular students at the partner university, pay Mason tuition to Mason, and pay room and board abroad.
Click here to see the brochure page for the University of Technology Sydney Direct Enrollment program.
Due to the popularity of this program and the limited availability of exchange spaces, the University of Technology Sydney Bilateral Exchange program will only have space for ONE STUDENT in Fall 2018. Students may choose to apply through the Direct Enrollment option.
- Students must have completed at least 45 credits at the time of departure with a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- UTS requires that 30 of these 45 credits (equivalent to two semesters) must be completed at the university level NOT including courses taken at a community college. If you have not completed this requirement, UTS may be able to evaluate your application based on other admissions standards. Please contact the program officer (listed below) with questions.
- Students should not study abroad the last semester of senior year if they plan to graduate on time.
- Recent transfer students cannot study abroad their first semester at Mason.
- Transfer between 12-16 credits per semester
- Letter grade received must be equivalent to a "C" or above
- Courses are transfer credit; will not factor into the GPA of the participant.
- Passing Grade for UTS: Pass (P) - 51%
Choosing Courses Abroad
This program does not have pre-approved classes. It is your responsibility to select courses and get them approved for transfer credit. To facilitate this process, you will complete the Petition for Transfer of Credit (PTC) Form. You will have access to the PTC form when you open an application.
You are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to look at this institution’s courses ahead of time to see how they will match up to your Mason degree requirements. Talk to your academic advisor about what courses you will need to receive credit for during your time abroad to stay on-track for your degree. When looking at courses keep in mind that 1) you will have to be enrolled full-time while abroad, and 2) similarly to Mason, course schedules can change. We recommend having twice as many courses approved as necessary.
6 UTS Credits = 4 US Credits (3 UTS = 2 US)
Students may choose to live in university housing or arrange their own housing off campus. UTS offers a wide range of variously priced accommodation options for its students. All of the options are self catered and are within close proximity to a number of supermarkets and restaurants to suit all requirements and budgets. Students will work with the housing office to arrange their accommodation before they arrive to Sydney.
Once accepted into a program, it will be your responsibility to apply for a student visa and/or residence permit (if required, based on your citizenship). You will receive details on this with your acceptance letter. Do not apply for a visa until after you have been officially accepted. Visit the Embassy of Australia's website for further information.
Links and Resources