General Study Abroad
The Global Education Office (GEO) organizes a wide range of international study, research, service, and leadership opportunities for the George Mason community. The office provides expertise and assistance in managing the numerous administrative and operational concerns specific to study abroad. Study abroad activities include international programs for undergraduates, graduates, and professionals seeking knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in the culturally diverse society of the twenty-first century. Mason GEO manages a variety of international programs in nearly fifty countries: short-term programs during the winter and summer breaks, semester and year-long programs (including faculty-led semester programs in Florence, Madrid, and Oxford), intensive language courses, and international internship opportunities. Mason GEO also organizes cultural tours for the Mason community.
You can contact the Mason GEO main office via phone at 703-993-2154 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planning to Apply? Visit the MasonAbroad website for comprehensive listings and applications.
|2.25 or above cumulative GPA||most Mason GEO winter break and summer short-term programs|
|2.50 or above cumulative GPA||most bilateral exchanges, semester, and internship programs|
|3.30 or above cumulative GPA||Oxford semester program participants|
|3.50 or above cumulative GPA||Oxford semester program, Mason undergraduate students|
|3.80 or above cumulative GPA||Oxford semester program, Mason graduate students|
To check eligibility requirements for a specific program, check the Programs page.
|Type of Program||
If you are applying for a Mason program, create a profile or login to MasonAbroad and complete the application in the Mason Enrollment System. Once you have submitted the online application and paid your registration and processing fee, your Program Officer will e-mail you with further instructions as to what additional forms you need to submit to Mason GEO.
If you are applying for a program administered by another institution, you will need to make an appointment with the Program Officer responsible for the External Study Abroad process.
Financing Study Abroad
- All enrollment/application fees and deposits are non-refundable.
- Mason GEO reserves the right to make any changes or alterations to the program including itineraries and fees, in cases of emergency, low enrollment, changed conditions or in the interest of the group. Should the University cancel the program for whatever reason, full refund of all fees will be made unless the cancellation is due to deteriorating security and safety conditions, including political unrest, natural disaster, technological failures, or other catastrophes beyond its control. In such cases the university will be able to refund only uncommitted and/or recoverable funds (lodging and/or meals, transportation deposits, airfare, and any other program-related non-recoverable expenses.)
- In cases of insufficient enrollment, students withdrawing their participation prior to an official Mason GEO cancellation notice will not receive a refund.
- All cancellations or withdrawals from a program must be made in writing. The charge on your student account will not be removed unless the Mason GEO office is notified of your intent to withdraw.
- If a participant cancels/withdraws from a program for any reason between payment of the deposit and forty-five days prior to the program start date, the participant will be refunded all fees paid minus the deposit and any non-recoverable costs.
- If a participant cancels or withdraws, voluntarily or involuntarily (including dismissal from the program), less than 45 days prior to the program start date or after the start of the program, no refund will be issued.
This policy applies to all participants including financial aid, scholarships, and/or loan recipients.
Mason and Academics
Yes, but within the following guidelines:
- Courses MUST be pre-approved by your department and dean (get the appropriate form from Mason GEO)
- Courses must be for graded credit
- You must receive a “C” or higher to earn undergraduate credit or a B or higher for graduate credit
- You must study abroad at an accredited institution
Yes and no.
Grades only transfer if you are going on a Mason GEO program with a Academic Director who serves as the "Instructor of Record". The short-term summer, spring break, and winter programs all provide this kind of credit called "resident credit". A few semester programs, including the Oxford Semester Program, also offer resident credit.
In the case of Direct Exchange Semester programs without a Mason Academic Director or non-Mason programs — the answer is no. Grades will show up on your host university transcript but will not be averaged into your Mason GPA. You will receive credit hours toward your graduation, and you still need to receive a “C” or higher to transfer undergraduate credits or a “B” or higher to transfer graduate credits. This is referred to as transfer credit.
While you are overseas on your study abroad program, it is your responsibility to check for the upcoming schedule of classes and register for your next semester back using Patriotweb. If you do not have access to the Internet while overseas, please make arrangements to have a friend or family member register you for classes.
Mason GEO will register you for your semester(s) abroad. Do not sign up for classes during the period you are going to be studying overseas.
In Case of Emergency