Skip to content

Incoming Exchange

Study at George Mason University!

If you study at one of our partner institutions, then you can study abroad at George Mason University!

International Week Flag Parade at the North Plaza at the Fairfax Campus. Photo by Alexis Glenn/Creative Services/George Mason University

Located just outside of Washington, DC, the capital city of the United States, George Mason University is an innovative and entrepreneurial institution with a growing and diverse student body and exceptional faculty of enterprising scholars. International students may spend a semester or a full year living and learning on the Fairfax Campus.

International students who are interested in applying to the exchange program with George Mason University (Mason) must be nominated by their home university. Please contact the international office at your home institution to see whether an exchange at Mason is available. 

The Global Education Office (GEO) is responsible for academic matters such as course scheduling, housing, providing the students’ academic transcript for their time at Mason, and providing information about the exchange agreement. The GEO contacts for incoming exchange students  are:

Universities Located in Africa, Asia, Ireland, Oceania, Russia, Scandinavia, or United Kingdom
Dianna Leonard
Universities Located in the Americas, Caribbean, Continental Europe (excluding Russia & Scandinavia), the Mediterranean, and the Middle East
Mikaela Spencer

The Office of International Programs and Services (OIPS) is responsible for items pertaining to the students’ J-1 immigration documents including the DS-2019, visa related questions, and pre-arrival information. The GEO contact at OIPS is Christine Bodziak who can be reached at (703) 993-3928 or

Important Dates Fall Semester Spring Semester
Nomination by Partner Institutions Due March 1 October 1
Application Deadline March 15 October 15

Students who attend Mason on exchange do so as a non-degree students. Most exchange programs take place at Mason’s Fairfax campus.