Become a Marketing Intern
The Global Education Office (GEO) is seeking qualified undergraduate or graduate students to assist the department for a minimum of 8 hours per week. This unpaid internship, volunteer or for academic credit, offers significant practical and professional marketing experience including on-the-job training in a variety of marketing platforms.
Looking for volunteer and involvement opportunities?Explore Involvement Opportunities
|LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE||The internship is NOT open to first year undergraduate students at Mason. All upper classmen are encouraged to apply.|
|TYPE OF EXPERIENCE||The candidate must have at least one international traveling or study abroad experience. Special attention will be given to applicants with demonstrated marketing experience, especially those who have extensive social networking and/or event-planning experience|
|NECESSARY SKILLS||Excellent communication skills, public speaking and customer service skills|
|REQUIRED PROFICIENCIES||Microsoft Office or similar, social media|
- Interns will improve professionally by creating and analyzing the effectiveness of corporate social media campaigns and email marketing.
- Interns will improve public speaking skills through class visits and presentations.
- Interns will develop better interpersonal skills through on-campus outreach and event planning.
- In addition, interns will formulate their own learning objectives based on the credits they seek, e.g. TOUR 241 or COMM 450.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Interact with students by sharing experiences through classroom visits and answering FAQ during events
- Present and talk at events
- Manage social media sites and online listings
- Assist with event preparation and execution (i.e. set up, implementation, and tear down)
- Assist with upkeep and distribution of marketing materials
- Assist with advising prospective study abroad students as needed
- Assist with front desk duties and light administrative tasks
- Assist with other projects as assigned
- You are a fast learner, detail-oriented, and deadline-conscious
- You are highly energetic, reliable, and able to multi-task
- You are a great communicator with a positive and inviting attitude
- You feel comfortable receiving constructive feedback
Interns at the Global Education Office (GEO) may be eligible to earn internship credit toward their degree. Many academic majors and minors have an “internship” or “practicum” experiential learning course within the curriculum.
Examples of internship courses at Mason:
- GLOA 495 – Internship
- TOUR 241 – TEM Practicum
- COMM 450 – Internship in Communication
- and many more
You should discuss the possibility of enrolling in the internship with your potential internship supervisor at the Global Education Office (GEO) and the internship coordinator/advisor within your academic department. Most academic departments have an internship coordinator within the department who acts as the faculty for the internship course.
Some departments have defined guidelines on their website which outline eligibility, process for enrolling, and procedures for earning the academic credit. Typically, students will establish learning objectives, a training plan for the semester, and send regular updates on their internship to their assigned internship faculty. In most cases, students need to work at least 135 hours at the internship site to earn 3 credits.
Achim Loch, Internet Marketing and Outreach Coordinator