With strong research and training, Tsinghua University is consistently ranked as one of the top academic institutions in China. Tsinghua is located in Beijing, the capital city of China and the country's third largest city. The campus of Tsinghua University is located in northwest Beijing, in the Haidian district, on the former site of Qing Dynasty royal gardens. The campus retains Chinese-style landscaping as well as traditional buildings, but many of its buildings are also in the Western-style, reflecting the American influence in its history. It is known throughout China and the wider world for having one of the most beautiful campuses.
Tsinghua University is a Bilateral Exchange Program - Students are enrolled as regular students at the partner university, pay Mason tuition to Mason, and pay room and board abroad.
- Students must have completed at least 45 credits at the time of departure with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Students should not study abroad the last semester of senior year if they plan to graduate on time.
- Recent transfer students cannot study abroad their first semester at Mason.
- Due to regulations set forth by Tsinghua, only a limited number of spaces may be available to Chinese nationals on this exchange program each term.
- Transfer between 12-16 credits per semester
- Letter grade received must be equivalent to a "C" or above
- Courses are transfer credit; will not factor into the GPA of the participant
- Passing Grade for Tsinghua: 60
Choosing Courses Abroad
This program does not have pre-approved classes. It is your responsibility to select courses and get them approved for transfer credit. To facilitate this process, you will complete the Petition for Transfer of Credit (PTC) Form. You will have access to the PTC form when you open an application.
You are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to look at this institution’s courses ahead of time to see how they will match up to your Mason degree requirements. Talk to your academic advisor about what courses you will need to receive credit for during your time abroad to stay on-track for your degree. When looking at courses keep in mind that 1) you will have to be enrolled full-time while abroad, and 2) similarly to Mason, course schedules can change. We recommend having twice as many courses approved as necessary.
Please note, Tsinghua does not release courses for the upcoming semester until right before the term starts. Students will need to base their course selection off of a previous semester course.
3 Tsinghua Credits = 3 US Credits
Exchange students choose from single or double rooms in Zijing (Redbud) Dormitory on campus. All rooms are furnished and all include A/C, TV, and internet access.
Once accepted into a program, it will be your responsibility to apply for a student visa and/or residence permit (if required, based on your citizenship). You will receive details on this with your acceptance letter. Do not apply for a visa until after you have been officially accepted. Visit the Embassy of China's website for further information.
Links and Resources