Study abroad and learn Spanish in one of the most ancient and diverse cities in Spain! Discover Granada, overflowing with historical and architectural remnants of an illustrious past, a small city that provides an ideal setting for studying Spanish language and culture. Stroll the winding, cobble-stoned streets of the Albayzín; peek into Gypsy caves; wander the passageways of the Alhambra; or experience the flair of flamenco. Granada's tremendous history and culture transform the city into a veritable extension of the classroom. Its strategic location in Andalusia at the foot of the Sierra Nevada makes it an excellent hub for exploring Southern Spain. Don't miss this great opportunity to discover Granada, a city whose vibrant nightlife ranks it among the 3 most popular cities in all of Spain for college students studying abroad! Students will take Spanish classes at the Universidad de Granada. Field trips are planned to Alhambra and Generalife, Albayzin, Malaga, Royal Chapel and Cathedral, Seville, Sacromonte, and walking tours around Granada.
- Granada's tremendous history and culture transform the city into a veritable extension of the classroom.
- Students take Spanish at the Universidad de Granada.
- Field Trips: Alhambra and Generalife, Albayzin, Malaga, Royal Chapel and Cathedral, Seville, Sacromonte, and walking tours around Granada.
Go GEO Challenge
This program has been designated as a Go GEO Challenge program for Summer 2018! If 15 students enroll, all participants will receive a $500 scholarship!
This program is open to all undergraduate students including students who do not attend George Mason University.
- Minimum GPA: 2.25
- Course prerequisite: completion of SPAN 102, 110, 115, appropriate placement score, or permission of department.
Students will enroll in two 3-credit courses, but placement will be based on proficiency and previous language study. Final enrollments will be determined after a placement exam taken in Granada. A maximum of 3 credits can be earned at the 400 level.
- Spanish- SPAN 210: Intermediate Spanish
- Spanish- SPAN 250: Gateway to Advanced Spanish
- Spanish- SPAN 305: Spanish in Context I
- Spanish- SPAN 306: Spanish in Context II
- Spanish- SPAN 315: Spanish for Heritage Speakers
- Spanish- SPAN 324: Study Abroad in Spanish
- Spanish- SPAN 335: Latin American Culture and Literature
- Spanish- SPAN 336-1: Culture and Art of Spain
- Spanish- SPAN 336-2: History and Geography of Spain
- Spanish- SPAN 336-3: Business Spanish
- Spanish- SPAN 461: Spanish Civilization and Culture
- Spanish- SPAN 481 Sexism and Gender-inclusive Language in the Spanish Media
June 3, 2018 - July 2, 2018*
(details coming soon!)
* Dates and itinerary subject to change. The Global Education Office reserves the right to make changes to a program in light of currency fluctuations, changing security and safety conditions, and/or any other unforeseen circumstances.
Summer 2018: $5,175
Included: Tuition for 6 credits, accommodations (homestay), 3 meals per day, laundry one time per week, guided tours, cultural excursions, international emergency medical insurance.
Not included: Airfare*, passport and visa fees, other transportation, personal spending, required textbooks and/or course materials.
*Participants must arrange their own airfare once instructed to do so by the Mason Global Education Office.
Students on MasonGEO programs must pay the advertised program cost in order to participate. This cost will be made in three payments (Deposit + First Payment + Final Payment). Students using financial aid can provide additional paperwork in lieu of deposit and final balance payments.
Application Deposit: A non-refundable program deposit $200 must be received by the application deadline. This fee is paid online through the MasonAbroad application system and is included in the program fee.
First Payment: A non-refundable payment of $1000 must be received by March 11, 2018 in order to confirm your enrollment in the program. Students who are using financial aid may have this payment deadline extended. See "Financial Aid" information below.
Final Payment: The final balance payment is due by April 8, 2018. This is the difference of your Program Cost minus the $1200 you've already paid (Deposit + First Payment). Students who are using financial aid may have this payment deadline extended. See "Financial Aid" information below.
Financial Aid and VA Benefits: Students who intend to use financial aid or their VA benefits to fund their program fees (partially or in full) must have the "Intent to Use Financial Aid" or "Intent to Use VA Benefits Form" completed and on file with the Global Education Office by the First Payment deadline. The "Intent to Use Financial Aid" form is available in the MasonAbroad application system once you have started your application for this program. If you are using VA Benefits please contact your program officer to request the "Intent to Use VA Benefits Form."
For more information on payments, financial aid, and information for non-Mason students:
GEO offers a number of need- and merit-based scholarships. All Mason students are welcome to apply:
Sunday, March 4, 2018
Program Deposit: $200 for all applicants.
Course Selection Questionnaire: You will choose the course(s) you would like to be receive credit for on this program. Check the "Academics" tab to see what courses are offered on this program. If you need help selecting your course, check with your academic advisor.
Passport Status Questionnaire: You do not need a passport to complete this questionnaire or the application. However, if you do not have a valid passport, you should begin applying for one now. The Global Education Office offers Passport Grants to help.
Signature Documents: Read and electronically "sign" the documents regarding the acknowledgement of risk, the pre-departure orientation, and your financial responsibility.
Intent to Use Financial Aid Form: For Mason students only. If you use financial aid, this form must be completed by your financial aid counselor and submitted by the 1st payment deadline.
Additional requirements for non-Mason applicants:
Official transcript: To be mailed or emailed to the Global Education Office at George Mason University.
Non-degree Contract Course/Admission Form: Please complete the form and upload it into the questionnaire.
* Additional application requirements may apply to individual programs. Once you open your application, you will see all application requirements.