Japanese Language in Akita
Experience Japanese language and culture this summer during our six-week program at Akita International University! Heading up to Akita prefecture in northern Japan, this summer's program is open to beginner and intermediate Japanese language learners.
Seeking Credits for the Following:
- Japanese (JAPA) 110: Elementary Japanese
- Japanese (JAPA) 210: Intermediate Japanese
- Japanese (JAPA) 250: Gateway to Advanced Japanese
- Japanese (JAPA) 330: Advanced Reading and Speaking I
- Japanese (JAPA) 331: Advanced Reading and Speaking II
Class level will be determined by placement exam taken after arrival in Akita. More information on Academics and the Calendar can be found here
This program is open to all undergraduate students at George Mason University, who meet the GPA requirement, and who will have completed at least two semesters at Mason by the time of application. No prior Japanese language is necessary; beginners are welcome. Applicants whose first language is not English must demonstrate that their English language is at a level which is required by AIU. Acceptable minimum qualifications are IELTS 5.0, TOEFL 500 (PBT) 61 (iBT), TOEIC 630.
Furnished student dormitories on campus. Students may be placed with international or Japanese roommates.
Program includes excursions to Oga Peninsula, a famous tourist destination in northern Japan, and Kakunodate, an ancient castle town where historic samurai mansions have been preserved. Kakunodate has also been referred to as "Little Kyoto," due to its traditional atmosphere.
Program Cost (Summer 2017): $5188
- Tuition (6 credits)
- Administrative services in Japan and Mason
- Meals in campus cafeteria
- Excursions, cultural workshops, and activities
- Pre-Departure Orientation
- International Emergency Insurance
- Round-trip airfare
- Personal spending
- Personal transportation