Skip to content

Travel Registration

Rain Forest

George Mason University encourages safe, culturally respectful global travel by Mason students, faculty, and staff and endeavors to provide all necessary information to make travel as successful and rewarding as possible.  According to University Policy 1134, students pursuing independently arranged international educational travel experiences, such as internships, independent study, service learning, or dissertation research, must register their university-related travel through the MasonAbroad travel registry, Mason GPS. This ensures adequate insurance protection, timely notification, and institutional support in the event of a travel emergency or international crisis. Student travelers will also be prompted to pay a one-time fee for Mason's international travel insurance. Use your Mason Patriot Pass credentials (i.e., user name and password) to access the travel registry. If your travel is part of a Mason study abroad program, you are not required to submit a separate individual travel registration.
Mason GPS is not an approval process. However, if you are planning to travel to a country that is hazardous or under comprehensive economic sanction, approval from the university is required.  Please visit the International Travel webpage for more information. For a list of comprehensive economic sanctioned countries and information on export controls requirements, visit RDIA’s International Travel webpage.


All students, including undergraduate, graduate, graduate assistants, residents, and fellows who arrange independent, university-related international travel should register their travel here.  Students traveling as part of a university sponsored/related group should follow registration procedures outlined by the program administrator, college, or school.

New Travel Record Return to Existing Record


Coming Soon: Faculty traveling on university-sponsored or university-related business will be required to register their travel in Mason's Travel Request System at (this site is currently used by faculty and staff for fiscal authorization for travel).

Register Faculty Travel



Refers to any means by which the university approves, funds, manages, promotes, admits into, or operates international travel activities whether directly or through a subcontractor; this includes volunteers and agents of the university.


Refers to any international travel activities engaged in by students or employees in their capacity as students or employees.  This includes travel related to instruction, research, or business, such as: conferences, presentations, recruiting, site or program assessment, or development.  This does not include international travel activities engaged in by students or employees in a personal capacity.