Monroe "Chip" Whitton Scholarship
The Monroe "Chip" Whitton Scholarship offered through the Global Education Office (GEO) is open only to George Mason University students participating in a Global Education Office (GEO) summer program in the United Kingdom (Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, or Wales) or Ireland with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
This scholarship will be awarded to one student in the amount of $800. The scholarship is need- and merit-based and each applicant is carefully considered by the Global Education Office (GEO)Scholarship Committee. The Committee looks for applicants who have a strong academic record, demonstrate financial need, and are passionate about study abroad in the UK or Ireland. Applicants are encouraged to share special circumstances, personal stories, or any other connections that demonstrate why and how the student will benefit from their chosen program in the UK or Ireland and the scholarship award.
Scholarship awards are designed to supplement a student's funds during the program. Scholarship recipients will be notified of their award before the pre-departure orientation in mid-May. Scholarship applicants must also have a qualifying program application completed before they will be considered for the scholarship.
Checks are expected to be available after the Pre-Departure Orientation event for each term. All program fees must be paid in full to receive the check. Scholarships will not be disbursed to students who cancel their participation in the program or if the program is cancelled. Repayment of the scholarship is required by students who withdraw from the program after disbursement.
In order to apply for this scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 at the time of application
- Active application to a Global Education Office (GEO) program in the United Kingdom or Ireland by the scholarship application deadline
- Be a degree-seeking Mason student (undergraduate only) at the time of application
In order to be considered for this scholarship, applicants must submit short-answer essays. Application questions are available within the Monroe "Chip" Whitton Scholarship online application for Scholarship Cycle 2.
- How do you plan to finance your study abroad program cost? Please include any financial circumstances you would like to share with the scholarship committee.
- While the English language is shared between the UK, Ireland, and the US, there are many cultural differences between these countries. Based on your research, what are some of these cultural differences and how do you plan to adapt to them?
- Describe why you believe the study abroad program you plan to attend in the UK or Ireland is a valuable investment of your time, money, and resources.
Global Education Office (GEO) Scholarship Policy and Requirements
You are invited to apply for all of the Global Education Office (GEO) scholarships for which you qualify. The Global Education Office (GEO) is committed to assisting as many students as possible. Therefore, preference will be given to students with financial need and/or who have not received previous funding from the Global Education Office (GEO).
Global Education Office (GEO) scholarship recipients are required to submit one High-Quality video or photo from their time abroad and participate in one GEO activity upon their return. This can include writing a blog post or reflection, sharing photographs, assisting with on-campus events and activities, speaking to future program participants via email, or another activity of your choice.
If you have any further questions, please contact GEO Staff at email@example.com