The Jacquemin Family Foundation Education Abroad Scholarship
The Jacquemin Family Foundation Education Abroad Scholarship is open only to George Mason University students participating in a Global Education Office (GEO) program ONLY
. Recipients will be selected based on their financial need and the strength of their application. Each applicant is carefully evaluated by a scholarship committee comprised of key representatives from the Office of Global Strategy, Provost Office, Office of Enrollment, a faculty representative and a Jacquemin scholar alumni.
The scholarship committee will evaluate the applicant on the following categories in this order of importance:
Scholarship applicants must also have a completed program application before they will be considered for the scholarship.
- Financial need as determined by Mason's Office of Financial Aid
- Academic fit of the study abroad program to the student's goals
- Potential for success/impact of experience
- First study abroad experience
Recipients will be selected twice per year, once for students applying to winter break, spring break, and spring semester programs (Scholarship Cycle 1) and once for students applying to summer, academic year, and fall semester programs (Scholarship Cycle 2). Scholarships will be in the amount of $1,000. Up to twenty awards will be made per year.
Recipients will be notified of their award prior to the mandatory Global Education Office (GEO) Pre-Departure Orientation event for each term and checks are expected to be available after the Pre-Departure Orientation. All program fees must be paid in full to receive the check. Scholarships will not be disbursed to students who cancel their participation in the program or if the program is canceled. Repayment of the scholarship is required by students who withdraw from the program after disbursement or when a program is canceled.
In order to apply for this scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 at the time of application
- Demonstrate financial need
- Active application to a Global Education Office (GEO) program by the scholarship application deadline
- Be a degree-seeking Mason student (undergraduate or graduate) at the time of application
- Preference will be given to students who have never studied abroad before
In order to be considered for this scholarship, applicants must submit short-answer essays as well as a letter of recommendation. Application questions and letter of recommendation requirements are available within the Jacquemin Family Foundation Education Abroad Scholarship online application.
- How do you plan to finance your study abroad program cost? Please include any financial circumstances you would like to share with the scholarship committee.
- Statement of Purpose
- In 500-1000 words, please tell the scholarship committee about yourself and address the following:
- Studying abroad for the first time may present a set of challengs (i.e. culture shock, language barriers, etc.). Describe at least two challenges you foresee yourself facing and explain how your skills and experience will enable you to overcome said challenges.
- What are your long-term career and academic goals and how does your study abroad endeavor relate to these goals?
- If you are selected as a recipient of this scholarship, how might you promote global awareness, global citizenship, a global mindset, and study abroad in general upon your return?
Global Education Office (GEO) Scholarship Policy and Requirements
You are invited to apply for all of the Global Education Office (GEO) scholarships for which you qualify. The Global Education Office (GEO) is committed to assisting as many students as possible. Therefore, priority will be given to students who have not received previous funding from the Global Education Office (GEO).
Recipients of this scholarship are required to submit one High-Quality video or photo of their time in their program, a thank-you letter, and participate in the Jacquemin Family alumni presentation upon the return from their program. This event should last about 2 hours and attendance is required.