The International Horizons Honors College Scholarship
The International Horizons Honors College scholarship is a need- and merit-based scholarship open to George Mason University students who are enrolled in Mason’s Honors College and are hoping to pursue a semester or year-long global experience. Made possible by a generous gift from an anonymous Honors College alumna who believes that finances should not stand in the way of a meaningful global experience, this award is intended to be used for study abroad expenses such as tuition, travel, and/or lodging costs.
In order to apply for this scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a degree-seeking full-time Mason Honors College undergraduate student at time of application
- Be in good academic standing with a minimum 3.00 GPA at time of application
- Demonstrate financial need as determined by Mason's Office of Financial Aid
- Active application to a study abroad program by the scholarship application deadline
To be considered for this scholarship, applicants must:
- Complete the separate International Horizons Scholarship Questionnaire. In completing the Questionnaire, applicants must address the following information:
- Financial need including any financial circumstances they would like to share with the scholarship committee
- Personal, academic and professional goals and how the selected study abroad program fits those goals
- How those goals will be pursued during study abroad
- Learning objectives while abroad
- Upload a Letter of Recommendation (1-2 pages on official letterhead)
All applications must be submitted by the deadline. Any subsequent submissions will not be considered.
Scholarship applicants must have an active study abroad program selected before they will be considered for the scholarship.
For a preview of the application, click here
Selection Process and Timeline
One scholarship recipient will be selected for a semester or year-long global experience each year.
Scholarship award is $2,000 per student per semester/year-long program, subject to availability of funds. Scholarships are awarded to students to assist with their tuition, travel and/or lodging expenses.
Each application is carefully evaluated by a five-person scholarship committee. The committee looks for an applicant who has a strong academic record, demonstrates financial need, and is passionate about study abroad and the program in particular.
Recipients will be selected based on the quality of their responses to the application Questionnaire.
Recipients and non-recipients will be notified about the scholarship award decision prior to final exams.
GEO’s Scholarship Policies and Requirements
In addition to the International Horizons Honors College Scholarship, students are invited to apply for all of the Global Education Office (GEO) scholarships for which they are eligible. The Global Education Office (GEO) is committed to assisting as many students as possible. Therefore, preference will be given to students with financial need and/or who have not received previous funding from the Global Education Office (GEO).
During or upon return from the study abroad program, GEO scholarship recipients are required to provide the following:
- Submit one High-Quality video (raw version) or photo representing their time and experiences abroad during their stay and/or no later than 30 days after their return; AND
- Participate in one GEO activity determined in consultation with GEO/Honors College staff. This can include writing a blog post or reflection, sharing photographs, assisting with on-campus events and activities, speaking to future program participants via email, or another activity of the student’s choice.
Dr. Andy Hoefer
Assistant Dean, Honors College