This proposed course will explore the history, and the business and government systems and policies that make Australia such a successful place for international commerce and to live. We will explore geopolitical matters, economic and political relations, and coalitions with Northern allies as well as their Asian neighbors. Cultural issues such as Aboriginal matters, immigration issues, especially related to rising sea water levels, the economic and societal impact of climate changes (flooding of major cities, agriculture, tourism, including the Great Barrier Reef, of which an estimated 50% has already died from increased water temperatures).
- Explore Brisbane and its vibrant business, tourism, and educational culture
- Study climate changes impact on the Great Barrier Reef
- Experience Sydney, a multicultural city with its famous Opera House, Bondi Beach, NSW parliament, and more.
All undergraduate students are welcome to apply including students who do not attend George Mason University. Minimum 2.25 GPA.
Prerequisites: those without science background may be able to take the course given approval from the instructor.
Tentative Program Dates:
May 28 - June 24, 2021
Day 1-5: Brisbane
- Traditional Aboriginal Welcome/Orientation
- Walking tour and group dinner
- Introduction to Indigenous Healthcare and the Australia Healthcare System
- Lectures from Local Experts
Day 6-8: Gold Coast
- Lecture from Bond University professor on the Impact of Tourism on Australia’s Gold Coast
- Free weekend to enjoy the Gold Coast
Day 9-10: Townsville
- Hands on wildlife experience at the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park
Day 11-13: Magnetic Island
- Snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef
- Guided Bush walk to Magnetic Island's Fort
Day 14-16: Townsville
- Learn about tourism and infrastructure in the Townsville region.
- Mungalla Aboriginal Tours cultural experience
Day 17-25: Sydney
- Explore Sydney with your indigenous guide
- Lectures by local experts
- Sydney Opera House tour
- Free weekend to enjoy Sydney
Day 26: Fly Home
* Dates and itinerary subject to change. The Global Education Office reserves the right to make changes to a program in light of currency fluctuations, changing security and safety conditions, and/or any other unforeseen circumstances.
Summer 2021: $5,425
The Program Cost for study abroad courses is assessed separately from Mason tuition and fees. This means separate charges will be put on your student account for this course: a study abroad tuition charge and a study abroad program fee charge which together equal the published Program Cost for this course.
- Tuition for 6 credits
- Domestic airfare & in-country transportation
- Entrance fees/tours/guides as described in itinerary
- International emergency medical insurance.
Not included: International airfare*, Passport and visa fees, meals, required textbooks and/or course materials.
*Note: International airfare is not included in the Program Cost. Information regarding arrival times and location will be sent out to all participants after the application deadline. Do not purchase airfare until you receive the "Green Light for Flights" notice from the Global Education Office via email. The notice will include information on the arrival/departure airports, flight times, and where to meet the group. Students who fail to follow the guidelines GEO sends out will be responsible for applicable costs of changing their flights and/or costs associated with arriving prior to the start of the program.
Students on MasonGEO programs must pay the advertised program cost in order to participate. This cost will be made in three payments (Deposit + First Payment + Final Payment). Students using financial aid can provide additional paperwork in lieu of deposit and final balance payments. All payments and charges are reflected in the student’s Mason Student Account.
A non-refundable program deposit $200 must be received by the application deadline. This fee is paid online through the MasonAbroad application system and is included in the program fee.
A non-refundable payment of $1000 must be received by March 20, 2021.
This fee is paid online through the MasonAbroad application system and is included in the program fee. Students who are using financial aid may have this payment deadline extended. See "Financial Aid" information below.
In the event that a student’s financial aid or VA Benefits is estimated to cover the entire costs of the study abroad program, the entire charge will be posted to their student account, since that is where the aid will be applied. In this case students do not pay their first payment through MasonAbroad. However students must submit their “Intent to Use Financial Aid” form by the first deposit deadline.
The final balance payment is due by April 10, 2021
. This is the difference of your Program Cost minus the $1200 you've already paid (Deposit + First Payment). Students who are using financial aid may have this payment deadline extended. See "Financial Aid" information below.
Financial Aid and VA Benefits
: Students who intend to use financial aid or VA benefits to fund their program fees (partially or in full) must have the "Intent to Use Financial Aid" or "Intent to Use VA Benefits Form" completed and on file with the Global Education Office by the First Payment deadline. The Office of Financial Aid is unable to assess if a student will have aid available for summer until mid to late February. The "Intent to Use Financial Aid" and "Intent to Use VA Benefits" forms are available in the MasonAbroad application system once the office of financial aid can review aid for this program.
* Students must be enrolled at least half-time for federal loans and the majority of grant funds. Please refer to the Financial Aid Website for a definition of half-time for undergraduate and graduate students: https://www2.gmu.edu/admissions-aid/financial-aid/eligibility.
Withdrawal and Refund Policy:
All participants are bound by the Mason GEO Withdrawal and Refund Policy.
For more information on payments, financial aid, and information for non-Mason students:
GEO offers a number of need- and merit-based scholarships. All Mason students are welcome to apply:
March 10, 2021
Program Deposit: $200 for all applicants.
Course Selection Questionnaire: You will choose the course(s) you would like to be receive credit for on this program. Check the "Academics" tab to see what courses are offered on this program. If you need help selecting your course, check with your academic advisor.
Passport Status Questionnaire: You do not need a passport to complete this questionnaire or the application. However, if you do not have a valid passport, you should begin applying for one now. The Global Education Office offers Passport Grants to help.
Signature Documents: Read and electronically "sign" the documents regarding the acknowledgement of risk, the pre-departure orientation, and your financial responsibility.Application requirements:*
Intent to Use Financial Aid Form: For Mason students only. If you use financial aid, this form must be completed by your financial aid counselor and submitted by the 1st payment deadline. The Office of Financial Aid is unable to assess if a student will have aid available for summer until mid to late February.
Additional requirements for non-Mason applicants:
Official transcript: To be mailed or emailed to the Global Education Office at George Mason University.
Non-degree Contract Course/Admission Form: Please complete the form and upload it into the questionnaire.
* Additional application requirements may apply to individual programs. Once you open your application, you will see all application requirements.