In collaboration with the University of Camerino, Mason is offering a six-week intensive virtual field program designed as a capstone course for upper-division geology majors. The focus of this course will be on traditional bedrock mapping, while also introducing students to applied topics such as geologic hazards, engineering geology and clastic sedimentary systems. The skills learned during the virtual field camp will provide students with the basic training essential to begin a career as a field scientist for private sector industry or moving towards graduate student research. Emphasis will be placed on training students to build their skills in geologic description and hypothesis testing in the field. Students will learn to confidently collect data in the field, interpret geologic problems, create geologic maps, and write a scientific report.
- Learn to collect data confidently in the (virtual) field and create geologic maps and write a professional report.
- Interpret field data to solve geological problems.
- Focus on traditional bedrock mapping. Also applied topics: geologic hazards, engineering geology, and clastic sedimentary systems.
This program is open to geology and earth science majors including those who do not attend George Mason University. Non-Mason students are welcome to apply, with space provided with priority to Mason students. This course is intended for junior and senior level students. Overall, this course should be the last course that geology and earth science majors take.
- Physical Geology
- Historical Geology
- Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology
- Sedimentology and/or Stratigraphy
- Structural geology
- Geology (GEOL) 404: Geological Field Techniques
- Geology (GEOL) 503: Special Topics in Earth Science
May 19 - July 1, 2021
Students should expect to be in class during the following days and times for the duration of the program:
- Mondays from 10:30AM - 1:30PM EST
- Tuesdays from 10:30AM - 1:30PM EST
- Wednesdays from 10:30AM - 1:30PM EST
Office hours will be available on Fridays from 10:30AM - 12:30PM.
* Dates and itinerary subject to change. The Global Education Office reserves the right to make changes to a program in light of currency fluctuations, changing security and safety conditions, and/or any other unforeseen circumstances.
Summer 2021: $3,254 for undergraduate students; $4,025 for graduate students
The Program Cost for study abroad courses is assessed separately from Mason tuition and fees. This means separate charges will be put on your student account for this course, a study abroad tuition charge and a study abroad program fee charge which together equal the published Program Cost for this course.
Included: Tuition for 6 credits
Students on MasonGEO virtual programs must pay the advertised program cost in order to participate. This cost will be made in two payments (Deposit + Final Payment). Students planning on using financial aid should contact their Financial Aid Counselor if they plan to use aid.
Application Deposit: A non-refundable program deposit $200 must be received by the application deadline. This fee is paid online through the MasonAbroad application system and is included in the program cost.
Final Payment: The final balance payment is due by May 10th. This is the difference of your Program Cost minus the $200 you've already paid (Deposit). Students who are using financial aid will need to contact the Financial Aid Office upon applying for the program.
Financial Aid and VA Benefits: Students who intend to use financial aid to fund their program fees (partially or in full) must reach out to the Financial Aid Office directly. The Office of Financial Aid is unable to assess if a student will have aid available for summer until April 5. Please complete the summer aid request form on the Financial Aid Office’s website on/after April 5. If you are using VA Benefits please contact your program officer to request the "Intent to Use VA Benefits Form."
* Students must be enrolled at least half-time for federal loans and the majority of grant funds. Please refer to the Financial Aid Website for a definition of half-time for undergraduate and graduate students: https://www2.gmu.edu/admissions-aid/financial-aid/eligibility.
Withdrawal and Refund Policy: All participants are bound by the Mason GEO Withdrawal and Refund Policy.
For more information on payments, financial aid, and information for non-Mason students:
GEO offers a number of need- and merit-based scholarships. All Mason students are welcome to apply:
May 1, 2021
Program Deposit: $200 for all applicants.
Course Selection Questionnaire: You will choose the course(s) you would like to be receive credit for on this program. Check the "Academics" tab to see what courses are offered on this program. If you need help selecting your course, check with your academic advisor.
Signature Documents: Read and electronically "sign" the documents regarding the acknowledgement of risk, the pre-departure orientation, and your financial responsibility.
Financial Aid: For Mason students only. If you use financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office directly before May 10, 2021.
Additional requirements for non-Mason applicants:
Official transcript: To be mailed or emailed to the Global Education Office at George Mason University.
Non-degree Contract Course/Admission Form: Please complete the form and upload it into the questionnaire.
* Additional application requirements may apply to individual programs. Once you open your application, you will see all application requirements.